“Our goal is to win a National Championship. PERIOD:” DU Women’s Lacrosse gears up for new season

By: Liam McGuire

University of Denver Women’s Lacrosse celebrates Big East Conference Title after overtime win over Georgetown. Source: University of Denver Athletics

After losing to Boston College in the second round of last year’s tournament, DU Women’s Lacrosse plans and prepares to make its comeback this season. Led by the 2022 Coach of the Year, Liza Kelly, this tight-knit group is excited and hopeful for the upcoming season as they know what they are here to do: win a national championship for their school and city.

University of Denver Women’s Lacrosse, a team that has 4 preseason All-Americans, ranking 1st among the Big East Conference, has high hopes for the 2023 season. Freshman on the team, Maggie Gately, reveals the key to the national championship: teamwork and hard work. This is nothing new to this crew of driven, hard-working athletes. It is simply the culmination of their life’s dedication to their sport and team.

McGuire: Why did you choose DU? How is it similar or different from high school (Bishop Ireton)?

Gately: I chose (Denver) because of the endless opportunities, both on the field and off, and the location and coaches and people. Denver just felt like the best fit and I couldn’t be happier. It is very different from high school. I was lucky because I got to experience lacrosse at such a high level in high school, so that prepared me well for college.

McGuire: What is it like to get recruited to a school with a successful history in your sport?

Gately: It felt like a dream. I could not have been happier to have been recruited by some of the best coaches in the game. It’s an honor really. I think the experience mainly showed me how important it is to work hard, and how great the outcome of working hard truly is, especially because I worked for years for this opportunity.

McGuire: How does being a student-athlete affect your life? Academically? Socially?

Gately: Being a student athlete is very hard. from waking up early every day to finishing classes after the sun sets. I’ve made some great friends that are my teammates, which makes things a lot easier and I’m so grateful for that.

McGuire: What drives you to wake up every day and keep playing? Why do you do what you do?

Gately: 100% my teammates. I know that they’re showing up for me which means I show up for them too. It’s an amazing feeling.

McGuire: How does the atmosphere of the program help build team spirit?

Gately: Practices are intense and competitive, while being fun at the same time, which I feel like is very rare, especially at the D1 level. Our coaches also inspire us every day to be the best version of ourselves.

McGuire: How does it feel to be playing for a team that is ranked among the top 10 in the nation?

Gately: It feels crazy honestly. It is a complete honor to be a Pio and very fulfilling cause I’ve wanted this since the second I picked up stick.

McGuire: What are your hopes and goals for your first season with a nationally recognized team?

Gately: Our goal is to win a National Championship…period. As for me, well I hope to fill whatever role I’m given whether that’s being a good teammate on the sideline or playing in big games.